Posted on Leave a comment

Project: Princess Peach Phone Case

One of my followers on Twitter alerted me to the amazing invention of a stitchable phone cover. I was really excited by this so I popped over to Ebay and spent a small amount on some iPhone 5 compatible cases in black, white and pink. I think the delivery was free which was an advantage and they arrived within a couple of days.

Image and Purchase courtesy of Ashford-Clearance store on ebay Visit their shop

 

The cases are like a silicone rubber which are very flexible and have tiny little holes punched in them that would cover the back of the phone. There were well aligned button coverings and openings too. I love pink and I love Princess Peach (of Mario fame) so I set about some experimentation with a pattern that didn’t use a too wide a palette just in case it all went horribly wrong.

©Sew 8-bit

The actual ease of sewing was surprising. The case is rigid enough to be easy to sew on to while not having the obvious challenges posed by fabric flopping around and getting caught. I had to use a sharp, very narrow needle which made threading an adventure.

 

 

©Sew 8-bit

 

One thing I did find was that the brand name threads are essential for stitching this type of project. The more economy threads simple couldn’t cope being pulled through the silicone holes and just very quickly fell apart. You also have to be very neat with fastening on and off to avoid lumps and bumps when it is fitted on the case.

 

©Sew 8-bit

A really great project that was economical but looks very effective. I’m going to investigate the full range of models I will be able to offer so that this can go in the project catalogue!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.