Posted on Leave a comment

Project: Zelda ‘Link’ Cushion

Hi there. It is such a hot day here that having an old and hot sewing machine really hasn’t worked to my advantage but I successfully sorted a project out that I’ve been waiting to do for ages. Now that we have moved things about at home and I have more room to get my machine out whenever I want to, it is so much easier to snatch opportunities as they arise.

 

 

My current machine – Bernina Minimatic 870. It’s old and temperamental but we have an understanding!

I ordered a remnant from eBay quite some time ago now that was just screaming to be used. It was a ‘fat quarter’ size but didn’t have very straight cuts so it needed thought as to how best to use the fabric. I decided that as I had some poly-cotton oddments in black and this Zelda fabric, a cushion cover would be a safe bet. I had a spare cushion pad that measured 40 x 40cm which was ideal for the fabric pieces that I had. Plus, I’m ever the one for using every scrap of fabric possible and hate to throw anything away. This size left me a nice simple strip of fabric over from the Zelda fat quarter which I aim to turn in to something new soon (I have a plan but I need a pattern).

 

Peekaboo! The motif is vibrant without being garish.

This project took about 2.5-3 hours as I wasn’t using a pattern (although I had made this type of cover before). The two pieces of 40 x 40cm were the first to be joined (with a standard allowance added when cutting) using a simple black cotton and a running stitch down the bottom of the cover and 1/3 of the way up each side. I then attached the overlap flap to the top of the cover and joined it to the remaining open sides. All visible seams were made neat before the joining process so that where the overlap was looked tidy and crisp.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Not a particularly challenging project but I think the pattern looks well centred. The range of colours in the print are going to compliment lots of different existing decors and the design is really pretty without being too feminine.

I realised as I turned the item out that the bottom flap overlapped the top rather than the traditional vice versa. I considered unpicking but actually it looks perfectly fine and there is no sag or puckering as a result. I haven’t added a Velcro fastening because as someone who has animals, a child and cushions with Velcro on…it collects hair, cheerios and fuzzy felts. The cover fits the cushion I have well, however there is a little wiggle room to account for any variation in the chosen filling (Feather cushions tend to make a much plumper cushion for example).

 

Looks gorgeous on my office chair!

 

I will be selling these in the shop either as stock or to order and will be available with or without the cushion filling (useful for those wishing to recycle existing cushion fillings or keep costs down a little). I’d love to hear what you think and what sort of cushion you would order for your own home!

Posted on Leave a comment

Project: Princess Peach Phone Case

One of my followers on Twitter alerted me to the amazing invention of a stitchable phone cover. I was really excited by this so I popped over to Ebay and spent a small amount on some iPhone 5 compatible cases in black, white and pink. I think the delivery was free which was an advantage and they arrived within a couple of days.

Image and Purchase courtesy of Ashford-Clearance store on ebay Visit their shop

 

The cases are like a silicone rubber which are very flexible and have tiny little holes punched in them that would cover the back of the phone. There were well aligned button coverings and openings too. I love pink and I love Princess Peach (of Mario fame) so I set about some experimentation with a pattern that didn’t use a too wide a palette just in case it all went horribly wrong.

©Sew 8-bit

The actual ease of sewing was surprising. The case is rigid enough to be easy to sew on to while not having the obvious challenges posed by fabric flopping around and getting caught. I had to use a sharp, very narrow needle which made threading an adventure.

 

 

©Sew 8-bit

 

One thing I did find was that the brand name threads are essential for stitching this type of project. The more economy threads simple couldn’t cope being pulled through the silicone holes and just very quickly fell apart. You also have to be very neat with fastening on and off to avoid lumps and bumps when it is fitted on the case.

 

©Sew 8-bit

A really great project that was economical but looks very effective. I’m going to investigate the full range of models I will be able to offer so that this can go in the project catalogue!