Andrew is a good friend of mine and was practically chomping at the bit to get an order in. I have worked with him for over a year now in my other role at Orange Bison. In the end I decided that 7 days wouldn’t be a disaster and let him make the order early (I’m so nice lol!). It also gave me a chance to test things like live streaming and stage by stage commentary on Twitter. Andrew was up for this so we struck a bargain.
Andrew had a favourite character in mind – Abe. Abe is a character from a species called the Mudokon’s. He is seen by his race as a Messiah figure who will lead them out of slavery and to a happier life free from oppression. He is a big, green/purple, lumbering character who tends to be clumsy yet endearing. Recently, the franchise was re-booted for the PS4.
Andrew wanted a fairly large piece but had a budget which was helpful for me to work with. This dictated the level of detail I could work in, the size and the frame type. He took advantage of the launch discount which was great! Abe was sewn on white Aida and had approximately 25 different colours – DMC floss was chosen for this project with two strands sewn throughout. I used an 8 inch hoop to support the work to ensure the tension would be even throughout. I didn’t want the Aida puckering around the silhouette of Abe and ruining the effect.
There were quite a few challenges with this piece. Many of the colours looked similar on the software I had used to build the pattern (to my eyes). I therefore need to ensure that I am using coded patterns with a key as opposed to colour patterns. The colours were very scattered and so it look a lot of time to build the image up as there were very few solid blocks of colour. This also meant that my original estimate for the time the work would take was much less than the actual time taken. I think this is a positive learning curve though and showed me that it would be quite valuable to track the hours that I do put in to a piece so that I am not just estimating all the time. I will then be able to give a more accurate measure of my speed across different sized pieces of work.
I have to say I really enjoyed the ability to live stream myself creating on Twitch. Not only was it great that Andrew could watch the development of his piece, but I also spoke to other sewers too and we had a great chat. Definitely something that will become a regular feature for Sew 8-bit!
The piece was framed in a deep frame to preserve the stitching (on big pieces, glass against the embroidery can make everything look a bit mushed) and selected a black painted 20cm square wooden frame. I’d love to know what you think of the images in the gallery – taken at each stage completed. Drop me a comment!