Posted on Leave a comment

Blog: The Monday after the launch before

Well I wasn’t sure what I expected on launch day but nearly 250 hits on the website in 24 hours certainly slightly exceeded whatever I had in my head. First and foremost I want to thank everyone for an amazing first week. Although not much has been sold as such, I’ve gained around 100 more followers and am starting to build the brand up. All of my branded packaging came through this week as well as my gift vouchers too. They look so professional and I am simply thrilled with what Bison were able to do for me. 

I have really enjoyed broadcasting my crafting on Twitch and beginning to connect with fellow crafter’s using that medium. It’s also a nice way to keep a record of what I am doing without bombarding social media with photographs. This was particularity the case with the Abe piece that got a lot of attention through this joint medium. I also did a quick make of a children’s bow tie as well – very much liking the quick make concept so this might become another good live feature. When the summer holidays are over, I will definitely be able to commit to more in the way of a definitive schedule. 

Knowing where and how to sell pieces is the bain of every makers existence from what I can gather. From pricing makes to selling websites, it can be very difficult to find where the right place is to sell without getting stung on fees or tripping over regulations. I’m leaning towards Etsy as it is THE place for handmade items but getting noticed in a busy marketplace is quite a challenge. Definitely one to keep working on and researching. 

I got some new machine sewing patterns this week in a sale which I hope to have a practice of and add to my repertoire. Some are simpler than others so it will be a case of when and where I have the time available to actually sit and devote the time and concentration space to do this properly. It also helped me recall my hatred of pattern cutting (why is it so cumbersome?!). I need to win the lottery so I can build a big extension with a huge luxurious cutting table instead of using my floor I think!

This week I am very busy but hope to do some quick and small pieces to add to the collection that is available from stock. My thinking is that this will be the best way to open an Etsy store and then if any commissions arise, I can slot those in very easily. Once again, thanks for all the support and for keeping up with the blog. I’m excited for everything ahead, but I often wish there were more hours in the day to get it all done. If you have any tips for staying organised, I’d love to hear them in the comments. 

Posted on Leave a comment

Project: Zelda ‘Link’ Cushion

Hi there. It is such a hot day here that having an old and hot sewing machine really hasn’t worked to my advantage but I successfully sorted a project out that I’ve been waiting to do for ages. Now that we have moved things about at home and I have more room to get my machine out whenever I want to, it is so much easier to snatch opportunities as they arise.

 

 

My current machine – Bernina Minimatic 870. It’s old and temperamental but we have an understanding!

I ordered a remnant from eBay quite some time ago now that was just screaming to be used. It was a ‘fat quarter’ size but didn’t have very straight cuts so it needed thought as to how best to use the fabric. I decided that as I had some poly-cotton oddments in black and this Zelda fabric, a cushion cover would be a safe bet. I had a spare cushion pad that measured 40 x 40cm which was ideal for the fabric pieces that I had. Plus, I’m ever the one for using every scrap of fabric possible and hate to throw anything away. This size left me a nice simple strip of fabric over from the Zelda fat quarter which I aim to turn in to something new soon (I have a plan but I need a pattern).

 

Peekaboo! The motif is vibrant without being garish.

This project took about 2.5-3 hours as I wasn’t using a pattern (although I had made this type of cover before). The two pieces of 40 x 40cm were the first to be joined (with a standard allowance added when cutting) using a simple black cotton and a running stitch down the bottom of the cover and 1/3 of the way up each side. I then attached the overlap flap to the top of the cover and joined it to the remaining open sides. All visible seams were made neat before the joining process so that where the overlap was looked tidy and crisp.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Not a particularly challenging project but I think the pattern looks well centred. The range of colours in the print are going to compliment lots of different existing decors and the design is really pretty without being too feminine.

I realised as I turned the item out that the bottom flap overlapped the top rather than the traditional vice versa. I considered unpicking but actually it looks perfectly fine and there is no sag or puckering as a result. I haven’t added a Velcro fastening because as someone who has animals, a child and cushions with Velcro on…it collects hair, cheerios and fuzzy felts. The cover fits the cushion I have well, however there is a little wiggle room to account for any variation in the chosen filling (Feather cushions tend to make a much plumper cushion for example).

 

Looks gorgeous on my office chair!

 

I will be selling these in the shop either as stock or to order and will be available with or without the cushion filling (useful for those wishing to recycle existing cushion fillings or keep costs down a little). I’d love to hear what you think and what sort of cushion you would order for your own home!